

Article content
An Indian man in Canada on a study permit is asking a judge for a discharge so he can avoid being deported, after being convicted of theft and fraud.
THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS
Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.
- Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
- Unlimited online access to National Post.
- National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
- Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
- Support local journalism.
SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE ARTICLES
Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.
- Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
- Unlimited online access to National Post.
- National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
- Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
- Support local journalism.
REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES
Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.
- Access articles from across Canada with one account.
- Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
- Enjoy additional articles per month.
- Get email updates from your favourite authors.
THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.
Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.
- Access articles from across Canada with one account
- Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
- Enjoy additional articles per month
- Get email updates from your favourite authors
Sign In or Create an Account
or
Article content
Jins Joseph, who has attended school in Corner Brook, N.L. for nearly four years, was working as a butcher at a Dominion store when he defrauded the store of $2,700 by putting deep discounts on meat for himself, his friends and fellow employees.
Article content
Article content
Article content
He was convicted of eight counts of fraud under $5,000 and one count of theft under $5,000 on July 24.
Article content
By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.
Article content
Joseph’s lawyer, Adam Crocker, told provincial court Judge Wayne Gorman on Thursday that the conviction could affect his client’s immigration status. His study permit expires on Sept. 30, and he must leave Canada by then, but is waiting for the outcome of the case to apply for an extension.
Article content
Gorman reserved sentencing decision until Aug. 20.
Article content
Joseph said to the judge that immigration lawyers told him the chances of being successful are almost zero with a criminal conviction.
Article content
“They said if that’s the case, you’re going to have to leave the country or you’re going to get deported from the country,” said Joseph.
Article content
He said that would result in him being banned from the country for five-plus years. Joseph has a partner here and said he promised to give her a future and be a husband to her, and he doesn’t want to break that promise.
Article content
He said he spent about $100,000 so far on his education.
Article content
“If I have to leave the country, I’m going to have to restart my entire degree all over again, and that’s going to take away six and a half years of my time trying to prepare for what I’ve gone through to get to here,” he said.
Article content
Article content
“I still believe that it’s just ill intentions of people that I’ve worked for, their personal trouble they’ve had with me, they’re trying to get me deported from the country.”
Article content
Article content
Joseph came to Canada from India in December 2022 and began his studies in the Bachelor of Business Administration program at MUN’s Grenfell campus in January 2023.
Article content
Joseph worked part-time at Dominion while attending school.
Article content
While at work, he was caught on surveillance cameras multiple times changing stickers on meat so it was labelled as cheaper cuts. The incidents occurred between March and May 2025. The recordings were played during his trial and show Joseph and others purchasing meat that the Crown alleged was obtained by fraud and theft.
Article content
Joseph testified that the store had cut his hours in order to “force him out” because he had threatened to complain to the Labour Relations board.
Article content
He said he had proof the store was selling unsaleable meat to local restaurants and takeouts for a significantly reduced price.
Article content
He also testified of seeing cancers and tumours in the meat and that he was told to remove them and still put the meat out for sale. He said he had videos of infected meat.
