

Article content
Six years after stepping down as working royals, Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, are moving back to the United Kingdom, British press reported late Wednesday.
THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS
Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.
- Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
- Unlimited online access to National Post.
- National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
- Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
- Support local journalism.
SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE ARTICLES
Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.
- Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
- Unlimited online access to National Post.
- National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
- Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
- Support local journalism.
REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES
Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.
- Access articles from across Canada with one account.
- Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
- Enjoy additional articles per month.
- Get email updates from your favourite authors.
THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.
Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.
- Access articles from across Canada with one account
- Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
- Enjoy additional articles per month
- Get email updates from your favourite authors
Sign In or Create an Account
or
Article content
In a surprise move, the youngest son of King Charles III, and his wife “plan to leave the United States by the end of the month to settle in a private, non-royal residence, which is said to be located outside London,” The Telegraph said.
Article content
Article content
Article content
Several U.K. news outlets including the BBC reported the couple’s two children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, had already been enrolled in a British school for the start of the school year in early September.
Article content
By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.
Article content
It was reported that the couple had already chosen a new house, but that it would not be one of the many royal residences.
Article content
The Press Association said Charles had been made aware on Sunday that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex planned to return to live in the U.K.
Article content
The monarch “welcomes the opportunity to see more of the family in a personal capacity,” but there will be no change in their status and the couple would still not be working royals, PA said.
Article content
The stunning news comes only weeks after Harry and Meghan visited the U.K. in early July with the children, during which they had a private meeting with Charles.
Article content
Harry and Meghan have lived in California since 2020 and the children had not seen their grandfather since 2022.
Article content
Harry, 41, and Meghan, 45, left Britain for North America in 2020 amid a bitter feud with his family, which worsened as Harry published his tell-all memoir “Spare.”
Article content
Article content
He subsequently said he wanted to reconcile with his father, who was diagnosed two years ago with cancer and has been receiving treatment since. The type of cancer has never been revealed.
Article content
Article content
But even the run-up to the July trip was rocked by setbacks, with media outlets quoting sources close to Harry as saying the prince would be staying at Buckingham Palace in London — only for the palace to issue a denial.
Article content
The palace said Harry had not accepted the invitation to stay at the official residence of the British sovereign sufficiently far in advance.
Article content
Harry has long blamed the media for the death of his mother Princess Diana, who was killed in a Paris car crash in 1997 while trying to shake off the paparazzi.
Article content
Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here.
Article content
